Help for the Pinay traveler who loses leg in Cambodia bus tragedy

This tragedy broke my heart.
A co-Pinay traveler Nina Kristine Abad, who apparently visited my blog and has sent me a message prior to her trip, was caught in a bus accident in Cambodia. 2 people died. Luckily, Nina survived. However, due to the severity of her injuries, her right leg had to be amputated. She'll go back in Pinas with only 1 leg left. =(



○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○

from the note of Benjamin Juan Delos Santos, Nina Kristine's friend:
Nina Kristine Abad is a 30-year-old travel enthusiast who has visited some of the best tourist sites around the world. However, during her recent journey to Cambodia, she met a tragic accident. Last Monday (August 1, 2011), the tourist bus she was riding collided with a truck while en route to Vietnam from the Cambodian tourist hub of Siem Reap. Seven passengers were seriously wounded, while two others died from the said incident. Luckily, Nina survived. However, due to the severity of her injuries, her right leg had to be amputated. She is currently confined at the Calmette Hospital in Phnom Penh.

Despite such adversity, brave Nina remains optimistic and hopes that her injuries will not keep her from continuing to pursue her dream of traveling around the world. But first she needs to recover from this life-altering event.

Immediate and overwhelming support from various agencies of the Philippine government, such as the Philippine Embassy in Phnom Penh, as well as that of Filipinos and friends residing in Cambodia and around the world has helped keep Nina's spirits up. Her family are on their way to Cambodia to be with her. The UPLB Development Communicators' Society, to which Nina is a member, continues to rally for support.

Nina is in a strange country and the trials she is facing are daunting. We, her organization's brothers and sisters are now humbly calling for your prayers and support. We all believe that with the proper attention of both the media and key officials and agencies of the Philippine government will help avoid the possibility of having this incident glossed over and swept under the rug. Please help us by disseminating this information to ensure that Nina will be able to recover and return home to her beloved country.

For those who wish to have more information and offer assistance please kindly contact Benjamin Juan Delos Santos at contact number: 09178191881. For those who wish to offer financial assistance, please send them to this account:

Account name: Sheena Eledi June A. Padilla
Account no. 2080141801
Branch: BDO Aegis People Support Branch

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○


Hi Nina,
I was so saddened by this life-changing news. And I dont know how to comfort you. =(
You're 1 brave lady, and I salute you for that. May God continue to shower you with strength to still pursue all your dream travels.
Can I join you in one of those? Looking forward to meet you once you're settled here in Pinas. Please get well.

48 responses:

Chyng said...

dear fellow travelers,

let's give her our prayers and emotional support.. and spare some of our travel budgets to assist Nina Kristine's needs. thank you!

escape said...

Too sad but good that she survived and that immediate support are on its way. Sige pagdasal natin siya.

MarLiesTravels said...

We'll also pray for her fast recovery..

EJGE of the World said...

I am deeply saddened by your post...To you, Ms Nina Kristine...be brave!!! i'll include you in my prayers..

Photo Cache said...

sad news. prayers are sent for her speedy recovery, both physically and mentally.

Jepoy said...

BDO account noted.

To Nina, I pray that you may find strength and courage with the people around you. May you be an inspiration to others...I wish you all the best.

Thanks for sharing Chyng...

Shey Malindog said...

everything happens for a reason..let us all hope for her fast recovery. Ms. Kristine we'll pray for you.recovery.

Michi said...

will pray for her.

isp101 said...

I am not a travel blogger, but, this news is very sad... We'll pray for her fast recovery! Hope she gets well soon!

thepinaysolobackpacker said...

It's really heartbreaking. =( Stay tough Nina.

mike said...

thanx for sharing. will pray for her fast recovery.

lady firehawk said...

sending prayers and healing energies for Ms. Nina Kristine...

thanks for sharing Chyng.

The Nomadic Pinoy said...

This is really very tragic. My thoughts and prayers go to Nina and to those others who lost lives and limbs.

LordCM said...

asahan mo chyng ang prayers namin para sa kanya...

The Nomadic Pinoy said...

p.s.
I hope she bought travel insurance before her trip - malaking tulong yun especially with medical evacuation.

The Gasoline Dude™ said...

Awww. Is she a blogger as well?

Ed said...

This also saddens me too. :(

Chyng said...

@dennis,
actually yan din concern ko. really hoped she availed it.

Lisa Marie said...

this is sad news.. T.T my prayer for your fast recovery Ms. Nina.. and carry on that brave heart of yours.. I pray that you and your family will have the strength to endure this ordeal.. Our prayers and support goes out for you..

iya_khin said...

my prayers goes with you...

Mitch said...

Indeed, a very sad one. But let's all look at the bright side, and that is for giving her a second chance/ life!

We'll pray for you Nina...

tina said...

omg! this is so sad. my heart and prayers goes to her...

gera said...

in behalf of our brods and sisses, thanks Chyng and to your readers supporting Nina. as of updates from brod BJ, Nina is overwhelmed by the support from relatives, friends and strangers. She sends her gratitude to everyone. Please keep on praying for her as she needs to undergo more tests and minor operations in the coming days.

again, maraming salamat sa lahat!

Pordoy Palaboy said...

we'll pray for her fast recovery and strength for her and her family.

RhonAnne said...

ms nina kristine sama kita sa prayers ko. so proud of you for being so brave. god is so good dahil nakasama mo sya lahat ng travels mo. ingats po and dont loose hope. kisses from me mwaahh...
ingat karin lagi chyng...

witsandnuts said...

Same concern, I wish she got a travel insurance. Lots of us will be praying for her.

Dea said...

Oh Ching! Naiyak ako! Abet and I met a bus accident in Cambodia two years ago, and like Nina, we were travelling from Siem Reap to Saigon. We were unharmed, but yung nabangga namin yung casualties, I don't know if may patay.

This is so close to home. I will definitely donate a bit. Will post about this in my blog as well.

Chyng said...

@dea,
she traveled at night pala. mas risky nga siguro kesa daytime..

docgelo said...

this is so heartbreaking! i have assisted several amputations before -name it, above the knee (AKA), below the knee(BKA), left, right, both! nakakaawa ang pasyente even if you perfectly know the indications for doing so.

accidents happen; we have to pray always. my prayers for nina and her family to be strong in these difficult times.

Kathleen said...

so sad to hear about what happen. praying for her recovery.. thank you for sharing about this Chyng

gillboard said...

my prayers for her fast recovery. hope she's well now.

Karla said...

This is such sad news! :( Naexperience ko magkasakit habang nasa ibang bansa pero yung lagnat na yun walang wala sa naeexperience ni Nina ngayon. Ang hirap talaga ng situation niya since nasa malayong bansa pa siya. Iniisip ko sinong nagbabantay, etc. Mahirap na malayo ka sa support group mo like your family.

Regarding night bus, risky pala talaga siya. Dapat mag night bus sana kami from Siem Reap to Vietnam pero may nabasa na din ako regarding the Virak Buntham night bus accident last May. Sana hindi na ito maulit.

I will pray for Nina. Will be sharing this too on my facebook account. Hope she can go home soon.

Arvin U. de la Peña said...

pray also for fast recovery..

Anonymous said...

I have read this in yahoo news. nakakalungkot naman ang nangyare.

I hope for her fast recovery.

Account noted din :)

Hoobert the Awesome said...

I heard the news just last night. It's really tragic. My heart goes to Nina. The Cambodian government, from what I heard in the news, is not extending any support (financial, emotional) to Nina. Too bad. Hindi ba nila alam na bad publicity ito sa kanila - na kapag ikaw ay isang tourist at naaksidente ka, you're on your own. Tsk.

I'll include Nina in my prayers tonight.

Axel said...

This is really a sad news.. I hope she still gets the strength needed to cope with her situation..

lakwatsera de primera said...

Praying for your fast recovery Nina.

Diamond R said...

Sana malamapasan niya ang pagsubok na ito.

RIZALENIO said...

Sad news.will pray for her.stay safe sa mga trips, Chyng.

Lovely said...

I was in the office when I first read about this news. It also broke my heart. I was really affected because she's a fellow pinay traveler. I'm really praying for her fast recovery.

AJ said...

Prayers for her. With God's help, she can overcome this tragedy. And I hope this will not stop her at her tracks. May she continue to explore the world and realize her human potential.

renevic said...

I heard this news early morning before ako pumasok. So sad, mag isa lang yata sya. Naalala ko nga yung mga PTB solo traveler na girls. Ingat lagi, be active, and vigilant. Nina, get well soon. We'll pray for your fast recovery.

Tripper10 said...

Nakakalungkot naman po...
Ipagdarasal ko po mabilis nyong paggaling Ms.Nina...

foxydeltan said...

will be praying for her speedy recovery and i do believe she is a strong woman...and will be able to pursue her dreams again..

Anonymous said...

ooohhmy!! scary experience! it's one thing that we travellers do not want to happen. hope she's okay na.

Pinoy Boy Journals said...

it could happen to any one of us, travelers. Will pray for her speedy recovery. May she be able to live through this. God Bless!

Christian | Lakad Pilipinas said...

Sad news indeed, I'm joining in praying for her fast recovery

Unknown said...

It's been exactly two years, give or take a few hours, since I met my accident and it is only now when I found the courage to google myself again. Thank you, Chyng, for featuring me in your blog and a big thanks to all your readers who sent their prayers and well wishes my way. It hasn't been easy but with the massive support that came my way, I feel very blessed. I'm happy to report that the wanderlust never waned and I've been to Australia, Singapore and Macau since my accident. The Pinoy travel blogging community were my inspiration, actually more like naiinggit ako sa adventures nyo, and that's what's driving me to continue hitting the road despite my PTSD.

Again, thank you everyone for all your support, even if you don't know me. I hope I get to meet you guys in one of your travels.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...