Day 3: Batu Caves + Putrajaya


Since we missed going to Batu Caves in Day 2, my companions and I agreed to visit the popular cave on the 3rd day. From Bukit Bintang, we took the monorail back to KL sentral. And from KL Sentral, we took the Putra line to the last station which is Gombak. From there, we decided to take a cab. Fare is RM12.

The cave is one of the most popular Hindu shrines outside India, dedicated to Lord Murugan.

entrance to Batu Caves
Rising almost 100 m above the ground, Batu Caves temple complex consists of three main caves and a few smaller ones. The biggest, referred to as Cathedral Cave or Temple Cave, has a 100 m-high ceiling, and features ornate Hindu shrines. To reach it, visitors have to climb a steep flight of 272 steps.

the unobstructed view
Standing at 140.09 ft high, the world's tallest statue of Murugan, a Hindu deity, is located outside Batu Caves. The statue, which cost approximately Rupees 24 million, is made of 1550 cubic metres of concrete, 250 tonnes of steel bars and 300 litres of gold paint.

world tallest statue of Murugan, a Hindu god
272 steps up the limestone hill
I didn't go up simply because I brought my luggage with me. My flight to Saigon, Vietnam was scheduled at 5:40pm.

me and my red luggage
On the way to the Ramayana Cave, there is a 50-foot tall murti of Hanuman and a temple dedicated to Hanuman, the noble monkey devotee.

statue of Hanuman
the pond overlooking the huge statue of Murugan
Lee and the other bloggers are right. Don't skip this spot when you visit Kuala Lumpur. It may be out of way for our next destination but we're glad we visited this interesting site and saw Malaysia's side of being Hindu. The good thing about visiting Malaysia, is that you can find cheap hotels in Kuala Lumpur and use the money you save to explore the city.

info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batu_Caves

Our next destination: Putrajaya and Cyberjaya.
To go there, we went back to KL Sentral via Putra line. We transferred to KLIA express, paid around RM5, and unboard in Putrajaya station. Once in Putrajaya, we went to the ticket booth and paid RM39 for the taxi that will tour us around the place for 1 hour. The taxi driver spoke good English. He served as our tourguide too.
Putrajaya
Putrajaya has become the new capital city near Kuala Lumpur. It was formerly known as Perang Besar and is located 25 km south of Kuala Lumpur. It is the new Administrative Center of the Government and will be a test bed for an electronic Government (a paperless administration) and will be equipped with the latest telecommunication technologies. It is set to be a model garden city with sophisticated information network base on multimedia technologies.

PICC
Putrajaya International Convention Center. This is a beautiful building for international conventions.


Day 3 at Putrajaya

Seri Wawasan Bridge
This futuristic cable-stayed bridge which has a sail ship appearance surely looks more fabulous at night. But the taxi driver said it is only lighten when there's an event or festival.


Seri Wawasan Bridge

Putra Mosque or Masjid Putra
The principal mosque of Putrajaya. Im not sure if I can go inside the mosque. Besides I find it disrespectful to stroll around the area while some are solemnly offering their prayers.

Putra Mosque

Perdana Putra
It houses the office complex of the Prime Minister of Malaysia.


Perdana Putra

source: http://www.malaysiasite.nl/putrajayaeng.htm

OK, our 1 hour is really not enough to visit every spot in Putrajaya and Cyberjaya. But I need to leave, that's almost 3pm and I needed to rush to LCCT to catch my flight. The taxi driver offered to drive me for RM30 but I refused. Since Im going alone (my companions will stay for another night in KL) and I cant afford the taxi fare all by myself (or kuripot lang ako). Instead I took KLIA express train.
Wrong move!
I waited for 20mins more for the next train to arrive. That was almost 3:50pm then. I was praying and praying. I need to arrive at LCCT on time. Luckily I did. But when I arrived at LCCT, the scene was unbelievable. There are too many people trying to check in.

Act of Kindness #2:
a German lady offered me to take her slot in the check-in counter. She said her flight was still at 7:40PM and mine was at 5:40PM. She said she can afford to line up again. Im so thankful! Ü


Next step: the immigration officers. They put me on hold because they said I dont have any documents. They asked me how will I get to Thailand (my return ticket bound to Manila is from BKK) from Vietnam. I insisted I dont need to have a VISA or any document to go to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. I will just travel by bus to reach my last destination before going back to Manila.

They didn't believe me of course. They said they need to verify first. OK, but please make it fast. It was almost 5pm and my flight was at 5:40pm. Im not nervous that the IO wont let me pass, Im sure I dont need any documents. Im just so nervous that if I miss my flight, all my other plans will be ruined..

After 20 mins, the IO smiled and said I can pass. Though Im so pissed off, I smiled back and asked if I can still make it in my 5:40PM flight. He answered "Your flight was delayed."

Whew! For the first time, Im so happy my flight didn't go on time. It was actually delayed for 2 hours.



my delayed Airasia flight

At that time, the next thing I got worried about was the service car that will pick me up from Ho Chi Minh City airport, Vietnam. I needed to advice them that my flight was delayed. I tried calling the number found on their website but it isn't working. So instead I looked for a wifi spot and emailed them..


and finally it's time to relax, eat, and just browse

Finally at 7:40pm, the plane flew towards HCMC, Vietnam. It was a 3 hour ride. I lined up at the immigration booth and have my passport stamped. I got my luggage and hurriedly went outside the airport. There I saw a man holding a paper with my name on it. Yey, he waited for me!


and it's officially the first country where I traveled solo

Click here for Day 4: Ho Chi Minh City trip



43 responses:

Chyng said...

yes naman, may progress ang pag-blog ko. 2nd leg na ng SEA trip. hello vietnam! ♥

journeyingjames said...

yung pose mosa second to the last pic parang pareho sa ibang mga pic..hahaha
grabe yung sa batu caves noh, nangilabot ako nung pumunta ako dun, tapos inagaw pa ng unggoy yung camera ko.

khantotantra said...

wow. ayos ang day 3 mo. Excited na q sa solo travel mo.

buti good thing shows sa travel mo, delayed ang flight at pinauna ka nung lady.

Chyng said...

@james,
huh? what are you talking about?! 0_o

@khanto,
ang bibilis nyo magcomment. amazing!

rob said...

.. that statue is huge! toxic level talaga chyng kung aakyatin mo yung steps going to the cave w/ your 'mahiwagang' red trolley! haha.

danda07 said...

next na! =)

eMPi said...

nakaka-excite ang solo flight mo... can't wait... post mo na!

escape said...

talagang may welcome note pa. amazing site specially the cave and the cathedral. one that i like to see myself. now adding putrajaya on my list.

as usual, im doing some pick of my favorite shots in this set. i like the second photo and your tale of wawasan bridge. great shot!

docgelo said...

i've seen batu caves from other sites and i agree with you that it's a must-visit spot in KL.
can't wait to bring my feet to the foot of that statue, chyng. 6 hours kasi KL from penang if by bus but 15min plane ride (RM150 via air asia; all in daw) lang and i only have weekends off plus the few work holidays that are yet to be disclosed.

i'm planning to bring tina+gabby to genting highlands on the last week of oct if everything goes well.

docgelo said...

may katoxican pala ang byahe mo,chyng! mura na ang taxi na RM30 wag mo lang ikoconvert syempre...
at ang mga eksena mo chyng sa airport, pampelikula!
...take us now to vietnam!

Unknown said...

hayyy Chyng nakakabitin naman oh....hehehe anyway bery informative talaga ang mga post mo as in super.

mishi said...

napakaexciting nmn ng mga trip mo chyng! docgelo's right, pampelikula! :) Now Im really for Vietnam woohoo!!

Diamond R said...

That last minute hassle sa Immigration sometimes traumatic. lalo na pag you are on schedule.
parang tinik sa dibdib na nabunot ang feeling pag ok na.

AC said...

BITIN! at ang galing mo mangbitin...hehe

sayang. di ka nakapasok sa cave.

pamatayhomesick said...

hi! chyng, ang taray naman ng posing!

nice photo! capturing the place of batu caves!

TOJ said...

ano daw? chyng from malina?

Chyng said...

@rob,
backpacking SEA in a trolley! apir!

@nicole,
hehe wait naman..

@marco,
lapit na! coming soon!

@doms,
allot at least 3 hours sa putrajaya para malibot nyo lahat, and thanks sa pagpili ng good shot. it inspires me :)

@doc,
ang mahalg n RM150, dapat RM50 lang. hehe yes you should bring gabby+tina sa genting and some other parts of KL. go go!

@ellen joy,
girl, there's something wrong sa comment box mo. it's not appearing.
i like banapple too!

Chyng said...

@mishi,
anong pelikula naman ito? hehe

@diamond,
true! lalo na yung nag-uusap sila with leir local local language, kawindang!

@AC,
hehe nambitin ba? isang entry lang vietnam trip ko..

@ever,
taray tlaga no? cant imagine you saying that.. hihi

@andi,
VERY GOOD OBSERVATION.. hehe di ko nalang sila kinorek tutal sinundo naman nila ko.. hehe

Photo Cache said...

Sayang you didn't get to see the cave, but the photos you took outside were outstanding. I think I saw this place on Travel Channel too.

Can't wait for the next stop.

Anonymous said...

grabe chyng ikaw na ang solo backpacker! hehehe next post na.. ililista ko baka sakaling magawa ko din yan

pusangkalye said...

OMG---pagkakita ko palang ng 2nd pic napa-shit nako----ang galing ng mga Malay---nilagyan nila ng hagdan yung papuntang cave tapos me malaki pang statue pero di nya nasira yung lugar. unlike satin minsan, sa pagnanaiis na maglagay ng structure, ang laswa ng kinakalabasan. most of the pics here---never saw before. iba ka talaga. iba , iba.

lechua said...

phew another adventurous day & that was a close call at the airport. u dragged ur luggage all round wow.. oh i wished u could go up to the cave, it's quite pretty up there:) vietnam next - looking forward to that post!

Robbie said...

Wow grabe ang taas nung stairs ha! Ikaw na ata ang pinaka-maswerteng traveler na kilala ko. Ang daming random act of kindness. Hehehe. Good karma yan for sure.

And I love the statues nga pala!

Allen said...

Ang ganda ng Putrajaya! Nakakainggit!!!!!

witsandnuts said...

We skipped Batu Caves since we still had a hang over of temples (Singapore_ and monkeys (Kuala Selangor). That was a nice capture of the stairs with the statue. I know how it feels to have almost missed a flight. Glad it all went fine. :)

witsandnuts said...

I forgot to mention something about the Putra Mosque. Yes, they will allow you to go inside after you put on a sort of robe to be really covered, depending on the timing of visit.

kg said...

ang ganda chyng! we regretted not having gone to putrajaya. sayang.

yung pic mo sa batu caves parang halos kasing laki mo yung buddah ha! he he! alam mo qwhen we were there, there was a celebration/festival at the batu caves. yung annual nila. yung nga lang morbid!

ganda ganda!

Ibyang said...

OMG ang galing galing mo. mag-isa ka lang? isa kang dyosa kapatid.

ang ganda naman sa KL...would love to see those statues.

Anonymous said...

isa lang masasabi ko..

ASTIG MO...hahahaha!

Chyng said...

@photocache,
i have my luggage with me kasi, hassle kung dalin ko sa taas.. hihi

@ai,
naku for sure ang pagiging solo traveler ang next na kakareerin mo

@anton,
nye, di nga? ngayon mo lang yan nakita? it's famous in KL. anyway, thanks!

@lee,
thanks Lee for all your help. i really appreciate it.

@robbie,
im just lucky and blessed! ♥

@allen,
maganda ba? parang mas maganda jan sa canada! hehe

Chyng said...

@witsandnuts,
aahh, so you tried to enter the mosque., ang galing.

@kg,
yeah nakita ko yun sa site. yung parang may binabaon sa likod.. parang penitensya natin sa krus..

@ibyang,
dyosa talaga eh? hehe

@superboink (mabel),
you are too!

JeffZ said...

nakakabitin!.. haha parang sequel ng most anticipated films of the year.. haha! :) tama nga, if you really want adventure, u get adventure.. and embrace it.. nothing ever go smooth, may mga panabla talaga.. nakaka-amaze na nababalance ung experience at the end of the day.. :) DAY 4 naman! hehehe

The Nomadic Pinoy said...

wow Chyng, those statues look formidable with an equally formidable stretch of stairway to match. I just can't imagine you dragging your red rolling suitcase up those stairs!

edelweiza said...

wow, ang ganda pala talaga ng malaysia! very interesting trip. nice photos, too. thanks for sharing. :)

KRIS JASPER said...

Very nice!

It's nice to conquer the world, i think we are truly Magellan's offsprings. lol

escape said...

tama. kulang nga talaga diyan kung less than 3hours.

pusangkalye said...

anu be---di ako nag MOA---wtc. it's a yopho thing~~~~

MiDniGHt DriVer said...

wow.. sarap naman! sana makasama ko sa mga travel mo.. hehehe

ann said...

hi chyng! haha bilib na talaga ako sayo... buti ka pa nakapag-solo flight na...

wow, isa isa na nyang nafufulfill ang bucket list nya (",) congrats!

thepinaysolobackpacker said...

mukhang ang sarap naman ng mga pagkain. nagutom ako! :D

sometimes Kim sometimes Mj said...

We missed these two sights - Batu Cave and Putra Jaya on our first KL visit kaya gusto naming bumalik. I'm back reading your Malaysia posts as it's going to help us when we go back this September. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, may I add buti na lang me outfit post para di na gulo gulo utak ko on what to wear hehe. pwede pala shorts:-D

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Chyng... did you try to visit Melaka? It's wonderful there too.. I would love to see you take photos there too. I've been there, but my photos aren't great.



I would like to here more from you.
-angela

http://iloveyah9teense7en.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...