Kindness Story of a Tour Guide

If all of us would just see and experience the same thing in a particular place, then most probably we would just be sharing the same story as we go home. Nothing unusual. Kinda average. But once something unexpected happened, then that trip becomes more memorable. Horrible if it's a misfortune. Or outstanding if it's a misfortune that turned to be a blessing in disguise.

I'll never get tired of telling everybody my Ilocos hysteria turned blessed birthday experience. It was an unexpected solo travel, and there I was- traveling with insufficient money, no ATM card, and no cellphone on hand, and the best part it's all happening on my birthday! WTF! Wow, That's Fantastic!

As I realized I cant shoulder all the expenses alone, I started to get worried. I wished I had settled an all inclusive holidays for a less hassle free trip. Too late for that. So I decided to still pursue the tricycle tour I made with Mang Arnel. I made an arrangement with this tour guide prior to my trip that's why it would be a loss of income on his part if I wont show up. Mang Arnel insisted that I must see Kabigan Falls. I told him I'd love too, but I cant afford the fees. What he did? He drove me to the site and paid P120 for my fees (kahit sya na daw ang magbayad, basta makita ko yung falls)! Im surprised. And he even accompanied me down the falls though for sure he has seen this place a hundred times (wala daw kasi magpipicture sakin kasi wala akong kasama). Along with the other tourguide, they took extra care of me as the rain poured hard that time. I had goosebumps as I saw these two people struggle to take a picture of me. Im so thankful for what he did, but I cant even treat him for some softdrinks.

2 tourguides struggled in the rain just to make this shot possible!


Come lunch time, I started to feel very hungry. But what can I do, the money left in my pocket was just enough for the ride back to the airport. I thought of skipping lunch but then Mang Arnel drove me to a small eatery. Sabi nya, "kain ka na, ako bahala sayo."

Grabe, I was teary eyed. I was almost shaking in tears (and hunger) as I was eating. That lunch may not even cost a lot, but that's the grandest birthday treat I ever had. I felt very blessed for this special experience. This is one of the most memorable birthday I ever had.. Uuhhm well of course the Bali birthday trip is another story. ^_^

Im proud to share that QTV11 has featured Mang Arnel in the show Brigada.

and Im more proud that this story has inspired other people too:



Reblogged for Pinoy Travel Bloggers’ Blog Carnival for the month of September with the theme “Unforgettable Human Encounters on the Road” compiled by Marky Ramone Go of Nomadic Experiences.

For a more detailed Ilocos trip, click here.

39 responses:

Chyng said...

a beautiful story really goes a long way, right?

next week - hindi na reblogged ang entry ko pramis! ^_^

eMPi said...

Wow! Ang bait naman ni Mang Arnel!

Im Lyn! said...

yap, mabait nga si Mng. Arnel, siya din ang tour guide ko nung ng-solo travel ako sa ilocos norte dahil sa nabasang kong post mo about sa kanya...:)

Michi said...

i've read your ilocos post and sabi ko nga siya ang kukunin ko na tour guide if ever mapadpad kami sa ilocos. pero ang tagal na ng post na yun, di pa ko nakakapunta. hehe!

may God bless him more and more.

The Gasoline Dude™ said...

Good Samaritan! Kaka inspire 'yung mga taong tulad niya kasi kung sino pa 'yung hindi naman kalakihan kumita eh sila pa 'yung sobrang matulungin.

May Macatugal said...

Bait naman niya :) sana maging tour guide ko din siya one day na mapadpad ako sa Ilocos nice story Chyng!

ivanlakwatsero said...

hihi.. iba tlga ang story ni mang arnel.. da best hospitality story... natatawa ako sa "all inclusive holidays"

dahil hndi pa ako naka-ikot ng husto sa ilocos, I will definitely go back there and get Mang Arnel's service.

gillboard said...

one should never get tired of retelling stories of good people.

they're rare.

khantotantra said...

this story shows na may taong busilak ang heart na handang tumulong sa kapwa. :D

may youtube vid b?

Robbie said...

I remember that post. Si Mang Arnel talaga ico-contact ko pag pumunta ako ng Ilocos! =)

Micamyx|Senyorita said...

Nabasa ko na dati ang story nya hehe kapag mag-ilocos kami, siya i-contact ko! :D

mike said...

what a truly heart warming story...there are still good people out there. thanx for sharing.

Tripper10 said...

IDOL si Mang Arnel...
Saludo ako sa kanya... :)

m@noy en nin@y said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
m@noy en nin@y said...

i've always been a silent follower of your blog... Your post about Mang Arnel (ilocos travel) is one of my favorite

wanderingcommuter said...

sana lang talaga dumami ang mga katulad nila... its very rare for a local to be generous to tourist kasi parang nasanay ang lahat na ang tourist ang mayaman...

nice story, chyng. as usual!

vin said...

kudos to mang arnel. i'm sure maraming kukunin syang tour guide for his kindness.

Glenn Encinares said...

nice story... Sana maraming tour guide na ganyan :)

Mitch said...

Oh, Chyng, another inspiring story again. I love mang Arnel na. Sana someday maging tour guide ko din siya. very touching ha..u were truly a blessed one ;) If you get paid of these so much ads and promotions, I think millionaire ka na girl! hehe

Ian | GoingRoamingWandering said...

One of the best travel stories I read in your blog... nice sharing it again.

Ed said...

haha. kahit ilang beses pa toh pinopost, still gives me goosebumps everytime. :D

amazingmusings.com said...

i still tear up when i read this story. thanks for sharing. also thanks for the link =)

bertN said...

I've traveled to many parts of the world already but I still have to meet a guide like Mang Arnel. Lucky you!

Siguro sa Pinas lang mayroon ganyan. Iba talaga pag Pinoy.

Christian | Lakad Pilipinas said...

Isa ko sa napabilib sa story mo nito Chyng iba ka talaga! WTF! (A Woman To Follow!) Pinilit ba hehe

Karla said...

Ang bait naman ni Mang Arnel. Kung pupunta kami sa Ilocos, itatry ko talaga siya ang mag tour sa amin. Have a nice weekend Chyng. :)

Unknown said...

Nice naman :)

At least sa pag-aadventure mo, may nakilala kang isang mabuting tao.

RIZALENIO said...

Bravo!!! Ang payong... :)

escape said...

how can i forget this story. i believe it's one of the best experience youve had and shared in your blog.

too bad... di ako nakasali sa blog carnival na to.

Mitch said...

Hi Chyng, just drop by to say, I gave you an award..Here, you can view it..http://mitchlists.blogspot.com/2011/09/ang-first-ever-kong-award-at-pitong-ako.html. Cheers!
Thanks.

katie said...

Thank you chyng! Your blog is really a help... And We can cut the cost to. Sana manalo ka :)

Elal Lasola said...

Beautiful place! I wanna meet him at maging tour guide din siya. *Thumbs up*

Arvin U. de la Peña said...

I hope maging tour guide ko din siya balang araw,hehe..

sometimes Kim sometimes Mj said...

Awww, what a kind soul. Me goose bumps and slight teary eyed ako while reading this.

Anonymous said...

I for one can attest on how kind, humble and hospitable si Mang Arnel. I had my solo trip in Ilocos just a few weeks ago and siya talaga ang kinuha kong guide after reading your post. No regret. I've been recommending him to all all my friends planning to go to Ilocos. Beautiful story. Beautiful person. Mabuhay si Kuya! (I fondly called him kuya, feeling close) Hehehe :)

Chyng said...

^ im glad to hear that. =)

jeanny said...

This made me teary eyed din....I want to meet him :-)

amazingmusings.com said...

Hi Chyng! Another happy customer of Mang Arnel posted in my blog (maybe he/she thought I was you). Below is his/her comment:

my brothers family went to ilocos just last month and they also had mang arnel, this is because of your blog. and yes mang arnel is still the same mang arnel you had. my brother and his family fell in love with the personality of mang arnel. mang arnel is really for the books. he told stories about you and cant thank you enough for all the guests he got from your help. he simply said that for that amount of money he spared , madami ang naidulot para sa kanya.
cant wait to meet mang arnel myself. more power chyng, your stories on travelling are just inspiring. thanks

http://www.amazingmusings.com/2011/03/super-ilocos-tour-guide-mang-arnel.html?showComment=1332301184932#c5963742256930487251

sutikno said...

im sory , i read slow because i speak english litle. but step by step until i finish read. oke

Marjorie said...

it's through this post of yours that we met mang arnel. we hired his services in our recent ilocos trip. indeed, he's a very nice person.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...