My 5th Job in 4.5 Years

After 3 long years of working at night, Im now a normal person, as what they say. I was just surprised that going to work in broad daylight also means an everyday struggle.

my 5th job - morning shift

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○

As of July 18 of this year, I transferred to another company, again. In the span of 4.5 years, this is already my 5th job. And no, Im not very proud of it, really.

The day after I went home from my SG-Bali trip, I went back to my previous employer and arranged my graceful exit.
June 1 - flew back to Manila
June 2 - I resigned
June 3-8 - Im a stressed bummer (this was the period where all the media people wanted to interview me, re. the Bali trip)
June 9 - start of my job HUNTING! (oh yes, I resigned without a new job that's waiting for me.)


Now you know why all my tv interviews are face-less/unexposed.
I dont want and I cant be famous for that incident, specially when im job hunting!
Hindi ko ikakayaman yan!


Unlike most people who'll turn to jobsdb and jobstreet to look for a job, I asked my friends first if they could refer me to their respective companies. Sayang ang referral bonus! ^_^


Company 1 - the largest foreign bank in the Philippines
Referral Fee: P10,000 (oo, factor to!)
Exam: None
1st Interview: Team Manager
He kept mentioning about the working hours that I might need to render if in case another member in the team calls in sick. Hhmm..

2nd Interview: Regional Director
A Singaporean. I hate phone interviews. Mahina kasi ang pandinig ko! And it's the first time I spoke with a SG'ean. He sounded so monotonous to me. I almost thought I didn't pass the interview.

Background Check: 1 week of waiting for the result
Credit Card Check: go ahead, wala akong credit card! =)
Job Offer: Just right. Basic salary + great benefits are better than my previous company.


Company 2 - an R&D, software+hardware multinational company
Referral Fee: P20,000 on the 6th month + P20,000 on the 1st year (can this afford some cheap Canaries holidays?)
Exam: None For the record, I reviewed the Software Devt Life Cycle and basic Electronics.

1st Interview: Team Manager
Someone entered the room. I thought he was just someone who'll guide me to my interviewer. But I was wrong, he was the manager slash my interviewer. Toinks!
What I remembered most: he said he doesn't believe in exams. The abilities wont be tested in the papers alone. I smiled. So true, kinakalawang na ang utak ko about schematic diagrams. Good thing he didn't make me solve a circuit. Shet, kahit fuse hindi ko na alam ang symbol!

Then he asked me why I did resign without a new job yet. He said jobless people have the slightest chance to negotiate a job offer. Tumaas ng half inch ang kilay ko, but still I smiled. I knew very well that my being jobless wont make me less skilled and less fit for the job.

Most important thing I noticed: this manager also assessed my personality and attitude. He wanted to know if I can fit the team. Aylavet!

2nd Interview: Operations Manager
First thing he asked me was "Tell me something that's not written in your resume." That's tough. I just mentioned that Im a blogger and Im fond of traveling. I knew this isn't work related but this was really the 1st thing I thought of. This conversation went well.
Next, he then said he gives the same points for candidates WITHOUT license and certifications. Im unlicensed btw. He said that those are just 1-time-big-time exams only. Knowledge on the job itself is way better than knowledge by the books. I smiled and agreed.

Another thing I treasured was his treatment to the applicants. He said not all candidates will be considered, not because of the lack of skills, but because he's not just fit and he may not like the job. Very true, it's a waste of time for both ends if that happens.

3rd Interview: Global Manager
I was really surprised to make it to the final stage. He has the final say so I really needed to market myself to him. Hehe Good thing, it turned out well. He said he was very happy with the interview, but I still needed to wait as I was being compared to other applicants.

Job Offer: Above my asking rate. Benefits, not much but as long as it has bonggang life and accident insurance, and HMO for my parents - happy na ko.



Obviously, I selected the 2nd company. Not just because of the salary and job description (im somehow back to hardware field again, woohoo!) but because of the people who I will work with. The 3 interviewers are accomplished, smart, and successful people yet they were all very humble. It's one of the lessons I learned in my past: that it's easy to find a job, but finding good teammates is not. In short, swertihan. I know I'll be spending more time with my workmates than my family, so I really need to make sure I'll be comfortable with the people I'll work with. Im very confident that the interviewers I met had hired the best people with nice attitudes too.

with the pioneers of Hardware team
inuman agad sa Friday? ^_^


So far so good. Hirap na hirap na hirap lang ako talaga sa morning shift. Riding the LRT + MRT is an everyday struggle. Survival of the fittest! =)

..last year ko pa goal tong new job. finally, nacross out ko na sya sa To-Do-List!

61 responses:

Chyng said...

thanks to Medel para sa fair share of referral bonus. ♥

eMPi said...

Good luck sa pakikipagsiksikan, Chyng! :D

Pack up and Drift said...

congrats sa new job. sana makahanap din ako ng work agad. I'm now jobless. hihi.

tina said...

Congrats Chyng! And oh, welcome to our world! Gogogo! Rush hour! :D

Pinoy Adventurista said...

I always admire people who can work at graveyard shift, di ko kasi kayang gawin yun...

Good luck sa new work mo Chyng! Masasanay ka din sa siksikan sa MRT at LRT, pati na rin ang pagtulog ng maaga... ehehehe... :)

Lois said...

Super relate ako sa job hopping experience. And I'm holding off finding a 'real job' for as long as I can. Hope you like your new job Chyng!

Anonymous said...

pa-refer din ako! LOL

congrats Chyng, I had 6 jobs already in my 4.5 years of career. hehe

2 are contractual :) 2 callcenters and 2 IT firm :)

Goodluck!

Meedge said...

congrats on your new job! gusto ko rin ng new job, pero parang mahirap yata sa profession ko. heheh.

Kristel said...

Congratulations!!! :) Sana magustuhan mo ang bago mong trabaho! :)

Axl Powerhouse Network said...

whahahaha goodluck on the new journey :D

Anonymous said...

'grats to your new job. i enjoy reading your blog :) *cheers.

Madz said...

Congrats for being on the normal shift again Chyng! Kita uli tayo minsan, bitin yung last meet up natin. Best of luck sa new work and company mo. :)

khantotantra said...

congrats sa new job. refer sana kita dito sa Trend. hahahaah. joke lang. :D

go go go sa 5th job

Kathleen said...

congratulations for the new job! weeee

Nicole said...

muse ka teh? :D Goodluck sa new job! Regarding sa MRT and LRT? Masasanay ka din! :) Kung ayaw kang padaanin, simpleng tulak will work then smile. Hehe!

pusangkalye said...

at sana for keeps na yan ha. sounds nice ha.40k? bongga.dyan kana.behave kana dyan.para next travel mo Europe na at di na sa tai tabi like you know, Indonesia?hahaha

MC said...

congratulations chyng! :) morning shift after the graveyard definitely needs a little getting used to, but i'm sure kering keri mo yan. godbless!

Jimmy Melo said...

Hi Chyng refer mo din ako hehehe! :D

gibo said...

congrats sa bagong trabaho. manlibre ka naman.

cute yung nakacheckered na polo. lolz

Kura said...

congrats gurl. buti nasaktuhan namin ang uber hectic mong sked nung July 15. Ang hirap mong hagilapin e. hahah! Paki hi na lang kay medel. back in each other's arms kayo ha. bongga!!

oh yeah! cute nga yung naka checkered. hahaha! agree with gibo.

escape said...

yihaa Chyng! great choice. kakatuwa at detalyado. samantalang ako nalimutan ko na yung mga tinanong sa akin sa interview kahit halos dalawang taon pa lang yon.

cheers to the new job! kitakits!

Mitch said...

ay...nakarelate ako. Riding MRT everyday is a challenge for me. plus, I'm planning to quit on my job now kahit wala pa akong nakikitang bago. Goodluck and more interesting posts para ma inspire pa ako lalo ^^ Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Goodluck to your new job! :)

John Marx Velasco said...

Congrats sa new job! Refer, refer, refer! :)

Photo Cache said...

congratulations Chyng. swerte ka talaga.

cheers! di ka na vampira.

John Bueno said...

Chyng, i wouldn't doubt that you'll get a new job... matalino ka naman eh.. just like me hehehe

mikel said...

congratulations on your new job! :D

mike said...

that is one gutsy move you did. quitting a job without a definite offer from another company.

lady firehawk said...

Congrats! sa new job mo... masasanay ka rin sa morning activities :)

bang said...

wow! congrats Chyng! and goodluck sa new job and siksikan sa MRT. :)

I just hope I could have also the courage to resign from work...I feel like wala na ako mapupuntahan na ibang company kasi I spent my 12 yrs with the same company. :(

rosey said...

2nd from the right (hardware team), if not mistaken, is my tita's bf. joserey redoblado? haha! haven't met him in person e. :)

Annetotz said...

congratz and goodluck Chyng... :)

buti pa ikaw normal na... hehe! sana mapadaan ka pa din sa MOA...

atleast, normal na din ang sched for gala... Sat and Sun! =)

SunnyToast said...

Goodluck to your new job...ikaw pala ang manglilibre smin ni dyanie..ay hindi pala kayong dalawa kc c dyanie mas something new sa knya..go ask mo baka magalit skn c madam:)

congrats!

Ed said...

thanks for sharing your life outside traveling chyng! hopefully, you can spend cheap Canaries holidays in due time.

:p

RhonAnne said...

congrats for new career and sympre new life na naman yan! bagong pakikisalamuha.... thanks nrn sa post dahil if ever may interview ako for new job after 5yrs i now prepared for that kind of questionaires...

bonek said...

Congrats Chyng! i really admire ur blog...Enjoy your new job!!!

amazingmusings.com said...

congrats Chyng! =)

sheng said...

I hope I am as luck as you are, I am hoping I could cross this out of my list too, the position i am applying for is already open, and the exams are very soon, followed by the interview. Please shower me with some luck.

Ian | GoingRoamingWandering said...

I agree with this ""it's easy to find a job, but finding good teammates are not so easy." - its because it is where you'll spent half of your life with so its great to find great colleagues at work!

I also do believe that skills and worthiness of an applicant CAN'T be seen in test papers but really in interviews because it gives the employer are deeper background and knowledge about the applicant... congrats, Chyng on your new work! Cheers!

abeng said...

chyng congrats sa new work.so bait baitan muna sa attendance? so bawas travel ba muna?

Christian | Lakad Pilipinas said...

Wow congrats Chyng!

lakwatsera de primera said...

Congrats Chyng, before salary lang ang basis ko kapag naghahanap ng new job pero later on mas top priority ko na yung working environment at yung team mates, kahit mas maliit ang sweldo kapag masaya ka at fulfilled sa work, hindi nakakatamad pumasok :)

adventurousfeet said...

congrats sa new shift chyng! you're teammates, mukhang makukulit! :) its really true, mahirap makahanap ng ok na teammates

Unknown said...

wow we're almost the same ah. i'm currently in my 4th job. so far so good. Congrats! :)

akasha said...

Agree ako dun sa 'survival of the fittest'

I'm from Pampanga so whenever I commute to Manila for some errands, nawiwindang talaga ako! I can't imagine working there. I admire you guys who live/work there, enduring all the traffic and train rides. ako na ang probinsyana. =)

congrats on your new job! Good luck, hope you'll find it fulfilling!

Tripper10 said...

Congratz po sa bago nyong trabaho...
Grabe memorya nyo.. natandaan nyo lahat yon...Galing nyo.. :)

Arvin U. de la Peña said...

congrats..

docgelo said...

honestly, chyng, this is one your posts i enjoyed reading! congratulations to your new found job. mukha namang happy sila with you and happy ikaw with them (although 1 photo as the basis with smiles on is weakly, i know). nonetheless, proud of you to find a new one, sa hirap ng buhay ngayon, hirap humanap ng work! alam mo 'yan!

ps : natawa ako dito, "He said jobless people have the slightest chance to negotiate a job offer. Tumaas ng half inch ang kilay ko,"

half inch talaga! buti hinid umabot ng 3rd floor. haha!

Axel said...

IT ka nga pala noh.. Oo nga, morning work is the best and the worst at the same time because of the every day travel struggle.

Congrats!!

Buti ka pa in 1month time lang nakahanap ka na, ako 5 months ng bum.. huhu.. Sarap sana kaso walang bread pang-gala.. hehehe

Calvin said...

ayos may trabaho kaagad. madali lang bang magbakasyon pag andyan ka? hehehe.

Micamyx|Senyorita said...

Congrats sa bagong work! Tama, mas ok mag-work sa place na alam mong ok ang working environment kesa uber taas nga ang sweldo, pero taas din ng ere ng mga katrabaho hehe :D

Yung commuting part ang reason bakit di ako makabalik-balik ng corporate haha.

isp101 said...

Very nice Chyng, at least, nakalipat kana sa "greener pasture", hehehe! Ako almost 6yrs ng taga sagot ng tawag sa magdamag na shift. Maniwala ka't sa hindi, sukang suka na talaga ako... Kaya I might be resigning after my 6th year, para makuha ko na rin ang retirement bonus ko, hehehe! God bless! =)

Diamond R said...

Mabrook Chyng.Back to normal na ang buhay. Maganda yan kasi kailangan talaga yan ng ating katawan.
and mukhang masaya ka sa mga bago mong katrabaho.

John Eric "icko" Silla said...

good luck for your new job. ive been so addicted with ur blog. its like ive known you for so long. God Bless!

P.S. I agree with ur statement-na swetihan ang makahanap ng good workmates. AJA!

Tsina said...

Sa Techno Hub ba ito? Assuming lang. :)

Good luck sa bagong work! :)

RON | fliptravels.com said...

congrats teh sa bagong work!!!
naloka ko sa credit card check... may ganun talaga?

The Nomadic Pinoy said...

congrats on the new job Chyng! goobye to the zombie shift - ayan may night life ka na uli.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chyng... sa GT kita nakilala.. Very helpful ang mga blogs mo.. Kumpare ko yang naka-green na shirt..
Goodluck sa new work

elaine

Chyng said...

^ hi Elaine,
he's my manager! =) so lucky to belong in this team. lahat kwela (at magaling!)

Lovely said...

Congrats sa new job Chyng! And welcome ulit sa normal shift =) Naka-relate naman ako sa post na to. I was also in job hunting during the past months and underwent lots of job interviews. That's why I wasn't able to update my blog for a long time. hehe. I just got a new job too. Cheers sa new jobs natin! God bless! =)

sometimes Kim sometimes Mj said...

Oh wow, congrats on the new job Chyng, hope you'll like it! And good luck on the commute teehee!:-D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...